Activating African Communities
Activating African Communities is a project that seeks to extend the reach of Wikimedia Projects to unheard or low activity regions in Africa. We believe that surging activities on the continent will ultimately translate into generating contents and participation across the region.
- Extend the reach of Wikimedia in Africa
- Increase contents about the continent
- Grow communities of editors or contributors
- Increase and promote other indigenous African languages that are gradually fading away.
- Increase Wikimedia affiliate bodies from Africa
Mode of RecruitingEdit
This project utilizes already existing networks in the open movements to identify prospective or interested participants, and engages them through several weeks of online training and finally encouraging to form groups of 5 to 10. The pioneers then train the rest of the group and then host their first edit-a-thon which is supervised by an experienced editor.